Turning The Page On 2013


hello there,

so it's that time where we all reflect on our past year and contemplate the upcoming one. I figured that I would blog about it, because I haven't blogged about anything as of late. 2013 is coming to a close in just a few hours and I hopefully will get this post done before the year is up. If I had to sum up 2013 into one word it would be, disappointing. Downer, I know. When 2013 started I had drawn up all the things I hoped would happen and for the most part my year didn't go as planned. My first semester of the year was filled with distractions and by the end of the semester I was scrambling just to pass half my courses (don't worry mom and dad, B+'s all around). I got rejected from the two universities I had applied to which meant instead of starting the final two years of my degree I was headed back to the drawing board where I was supposed to figure out what I am to do with my life. Heads up; I still don't know. The summer was busy but uneventful, which was nice, except at some point in the beginning of of June I got sick. Then school started again, and I got even more sick. I decided to take 5 courses in hopes to graduate sooner and raise my GPA. But instead of putting in extra time in the library, I was putting in extra time in bed, missing classes, hanging out at the biomedical lab, and in various doctor's offices. Other events put a damper on my year as well and although 2013 was a year filled with a lot of disappointments, that's not how I want to remember it.

Because a lot of good came from it.

I was strongly reminded, over and over again, that I have the most incredible family in the entire world, that are willing to do anything for me. I learned that in the midst of trials I have the most loyal, compassionate, and resilient friends on the planet and I can honestly say we are finishing the year way stronger and closer than when we started it. If 2013 is remembered for one thing, and one thing only, it is that I have beautiful, incredible, selfless, and devoted friends. I also did have a lot of fun this year. Five fantastic friends of mine got married which means I gained five new friends in the process. I went to my first concert! And then my second. And then my third. And then my fourth and fifth. And then my sixth... You could say 2013 was "The Year Of The Concerts". I went a little concert crazy alright? I got to see Carrie Underwood on her Blown Away Tour, Mumford & Sons on their Gentlemen Of The Road tour, Austin Mahone, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift on the Red Tour, Passenger (twice), Stu Larson, Xavier Rudd (accidently), and The Lumineers. I also started this blog, but I'm hoping 2014 will go a bit better and be a bit more consistent in terms of blogging. On Christmas day my best friend got engaged and I am blessed to be her maid of honour. I auditioned for the Amazing Race Canada which is super random but it was fun making the audition video; we will have to wait and see what comes from it. But the ultimate highlight of 2013 occurred in the very first month of the year. The greatest blessing ever came into my life. I became an aunt. My nephew has become the greatest joy of my life and I love him more than I can say.

So clearly 2013 wasn't all bad and some amazing memories came from it. And let me share with you, in photos, my 2013. Now I'm off to have dinner with friends, watch Anchorman 2 and enjoy the remaining hours of this year with incredible people!

Happy New Years!

-m.o